Compiling java (gcj, jikes, kaffe...)

Dear debian-users,

This is really stupid, but I don't know any further.
Every time I try to compile some java source code - actually the HelloWorld
example from the Debian Java FAQ - I get error messages:

with gcj:
    /usr/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
    /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

with jikes:
    Found 2 system errors:

    *** Error: Could not find package named
        /usr/share/java/repository/java/util

    *** Error: Could not find package named
        /usr/share/java/repository/java/lang

with kaffe's kjc:
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: at/dms/kjc/Main
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
        at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
        at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
        at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)

BTW: Running ready programs with kaffe works just fine...

I put the following entry into my ~/.profile:
export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/kaffe

Could someone please tell me what is wrong or missing?
Thanks in advance,
Andreas.