my NIC

I have a D-Link DFE-520TX ethernet card connecting me, via a cable modem to
the internet. I wish to install debian over the internet. I have installed
the base system fine, and it all works (i assume) as it should. However,
This particular card cannot be selected from the list of NICs during
installation (of the base system from the rescue disk). This then means I
cannot access the debian FTP site to download any more of debian. I have
checked on the supported hardware list and this particular card is
supported. There is a link however to a C file requiring me to recompile the
kernel to enable support for this card
(ftp.dlinknet.com/PUB/Drivers/linux.zip). Unfortunately the base system
doesn't have such added bonuses as the kernel source or Make. Do you have
any ideas or suggestions about installing debian via an FTP site.
Many thanks

Henry Gomersall