diskless gateway/firewall ?

I'm setting up a gateway/firewall at home. This machine will serve
mainly as a node through which I can do remote-wake-ups of my
home  workstation.  (To  build  remote-wake-up packets  you need  root
access,  which  may  not  always  be  available  when  I'm  away  from
home.) The firewalling stuff, if any, will be a bonus feature.

For this to  make sense, the gateway machine has to  be quiet (a noisy
gateway would defeat the purpose of having APM enabled on my workstation).
I plan to use for this a fanless, diskless 486DX4/100 with 8M RAM. The
idea being that I can load Debian from floppy (a la "rescue disk"),
set  up networking/firewalling,  and  install (in  RAM) a  setuid-root
remote-wake-up binary.  Then if I  want to access my  home workstation
remotely, I login to the gateway and run the remote-wake-up binary.

Anyone have experience with diskless installations? Any suggestions/hints?

cheers,
chris