HELP! Debconf does not work

I installed a new version of debconf on my off-line computer and debconf
asked me if I wanted dialog, slang, text etc.. I chose slang, but it
appears that there is some perl module missing so that I cannot get
that. Why doesn't debconf check this before it give me the choice?
Subsequently I cannot install the rest of the packages, because I cannot
figure out where debconf puts it's config file so that I can hand edit
debconf.

So my problem is: 1. I cannot uninstall debconf as too many packages
need it. And reinstalling it does not work as the config files are still
there.

What do I do?

Thanks for any hint in advance!

PS: Never ever try installing a unstable Debian on a off-line machine.
There are sooo many packages with basic faults that you will use days
to get things working!

--
Preben Randhol ------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»