[Fwd: ~New~ installation questions]

--- Begin Message ---
Greetings,

I'm about to re-install Stormix Hail after several unsuccessful attempts to
install and upgrade the Rain version. I've also invested in VMware, so I will be
completely formatting my HD, and installing W98 as a Guest OS through VM. As
this will be my ?teenth attempt at installing debian, I'd like to get some
advice from all the gurus out there.

1.    I have a 20G HD that I plan to partition into several logical drives, in
order to minimize data loss should things not go well. I know that it's wise to
have separate partitions, but don't know what sizes I should use for the
following, or in which order they should be listed in fstab (I may as well take
care of load order while partitioning):

/
/home
/usr
/temp
/var

Note: the docs for VMware inform me that W98 will be loaded to the /usr
directory for the user from which it is installed. I've decided to set aside a
fat32 partition for ease of access to data for W98 programs; I figure a max of
5G should do it. Comments?

2.    I've also had ~serious~ trouble getting my mouse to work in through Debian
(though that may be related to corrupt installs in the past). I'd like some
advice on if/which display manager I should load (xdm, kdm, gdm ...). I've
noticed that the majority of instruction for activating whell-mice assume
activity through gdm.

3.    I've also ~never~ gotten my printer (HP820) to work in linux. I'd like
some pointers on the best install and filter options and/or would it be better
to simply allow printing to be done through VM's samba app's?

4.    Lastly, for now, I'd like some opinions of gui sign-ins vs. "startx" for
logging in.

TIA

C. Masters

p.s. I've been trying to get my system debianized since late november of last
year, so you can appreciate my desire to ~finally~ do this the right way.

Thanks again.

--- End Message ---