Boot launches X, but after login, get stuck. Still trying....

It is a Mitsubishi laptop, so that may be part of the problem.  Anyway, when
I reboot, the graphical Debian/GNU login screen comes up.  I think it must
have launched XF86.    So when I enter login & password, I get speckled
screen with a big X in the middle and a dead mouse.  With cont-alt-F2, I can
get to a console and login again; but if I try startx, I get fatal server
error: "Server is already active for display 0".  I've tried removing lock
file in /tmp; but it does not help.

I did complete install from the 6 disk Debian distro, everything, but
gnome-session doesn't work, and I don't think KDE is even there.  Minicom is
not there, along with a lot of other stuff I expected I could use.  Newbie
always appreciates help.  I'm no systems engineer or MIS mavin.  Best wishes,
 dave