Re: NIS with shadow passwords

Nate Amsden wrote:

> you can search the www for how to do NIS+ in linux but the process seems
> quite involved if your not using a supported distro like SuSE (since i
> think
> most of the NIS+ development is done by SuSE employees ..) i tried doing
> it with debian 2.0 ..and..ended up reinstalling because i hosed my libc
> bad.

NIS+ support in general can be found at
http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/nisplus/, but it's not an easy task to install
(at least on RedHat it's not).  You'll have to fiddle with the PAM
entries a bit, to get thinks working properly.

There is also a debianized version available at
  deb http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
  deb-src http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
but I haven't played with that.  Chances are, it works quite well out of
the box.

Good luck,
Viktor
--