Re: NIS with shadow passwords

Pedro Pereira wrote:

> Hi.
> I have NIS installed and working good on my LAN.
> But I'd like to install shadow passwords as well.
> I've tried it, but as I compile the NIS maps, the users aren't no longer
> able to login :(
> Could somebody please help me?
> Thanks.

use NIS+ ..i believe the NIS with linux does not support shadow.
although i am
not aware of a NIS+ solution that is debianized in stable.

you can search the www for how to do NIS+ in linux but the process seems
quite involved if your not using a supported distro like SuSE (since i
think
most of the NIS+ development is done by SuSE employees ..) i tried doing
it with debian 2.0 ..and..ended up reinstalling because i hosed my libc
bad.

when i wanted a NIS server with shadow i decided on solaris 7(sparc)
on an ultra 10 ..

nate

--
:::