Re: SOLVED: Re: ~/.xsession causes X to restart (infinite loop)

Lo, on Thursday, January 25, Pollywog did write:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:22:51 -0800 (PST), Xucaen said:
>

> >  does anyone know why creating .xsession causes
> >  fvwm to NOT load anymore? I'd really like to know
> >  why
>
> I don't think you need the "&" following your window manager.

True,

exec fvwm &

is redundant.  Drop the &.

Note, btw, that

fvwm &

*won't* work---when .xsession (or its replacement process, in the face of
an exex) terminates, the X server quits.  (This bit me pretty badly when I
first started hacking my .xinitrc/.xsession a few years back.)

Either `fvwm' or `exec fvwm' is fine; the latter is somewhat preferable, as
it doesn't keep the shell process hanging around until you quit X.

Richard