Re: need a lilo.conf which does not mess up existing linux / partition

Dear Debian users,

Sorry for the last badly conceived  e-mail., and my apologies if
anyone went to went to any trouble over it.t

Just in case  anyone out there might be interested:

One needs to have EACH   kernel,  which is pointed to by
lilo.conf  'image = ' record on a  partition which is  MOUNTED.

In my naivity, I had erroneously believed that lilo was somehow smart
enough to find a kernel file on  an  unmounted  partitions.

So,  the following lilo.conf entries which are WRONG:

image=/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hdb1
        label=mandrake

.... where the correct vmlinuz is on the  partition,  /dev/hdb1/ which is NOT
mounted  (the root partition of my existing Mandrake Linux system)

This resulted in the Mandrake linux kernel, after I rebooted, behaving in
some ways as if it were the Debian kernel, causing modprobe  to
look in a nonexistent modules directory (see below) for a modules.dep
and other modules- related subdirectories.

The correct entries are :

image=/mnt/hdb1/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hdb1
        label=mandrake

.../where the root partition of my existng Mandrake linux partition is mounted
temporarilly on /mnt/hdb1/, prior to running lilio.

When I made the correction,  the problem was fixed.  It seems obvious now, of
course.

Hope this is useful to somebody out there and sorry again, if anyone went to
any great trouble.

regards,

James