Re: Console question (2x)

To quote RAccess <pi@home.com>,
# 1. I have heard that its possible to run console in multiple
resolutions.
# How do I do this in debian, specifically?

One way is to compile framebuffer support into your kernel. Read
/path/to/linux/source/Documentation/fb/* . Probably vesafb.txt .

# 2. How can I have more console windows than the default 6? I want to
bump
# up tty7 and above used for X. Also, what happens if I want more
terminals
# than 12? There are only 12 function keys!

Take a look at /etc/inittab . You'll see a bunch of lines that look
like:

6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Add new lines, simply changing the very first and the very last numbers,
like:

7:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty7

That'll give you a seventh console. Continue to taste :) As far as
having more than 12, I don't know about that. Maybe using left alt will
allow you to use another set. But why would you want so many?

Incidentally, X uses the next free tty. So if you have 'getty's up to
tty11, X will be on tty12.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)