Re: Package management, involuntary upgrade

will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
>i crafted one concerning mostly apt-get, tho it touches on some
>of the dpkg features -- it's at
>
>http://www.eGroups.com/files/newbieDoc/apt-get-intro.html

A few comments on that, some on the content, some typographical. From
reading through it, it's an extremely useful document. Thanks for your
efforts!

  * In bash, you need to press tab twice after typing 'apt' to get a
    completion listing, possibly even three times if you have the same
    set of things as you installed except for aptitude. The reason for
    this is that the first tab tries to complete as much unambiguous
    text as possible, then stops; if you hadn't had aptitude installed,
    this would complete an additional '-', otherwise it would stop
    immediately. Any further tabs provide a full listing if and only if
    the previous tab stopped immediately without being able to complete
    any more.

    This is probably a bit much for a packaging howto, though; if it
    can't be made more concise than what I've written (I'm wordy, I
    admit it), then it's probably too confusing and should be deleted.
    "Press tab a couple of times until you get a listing" would be good
    enough.

  * 'uname -r' gives the version of your *kernel*, not your
    distribution. 'cat /etc/debian_version' is the best way to find out
    what version of Debian you've got.

  * Perhaps add a note about 'testing' to the SETUP section, which
    currently only mentions 'stable' and 'unstable'?

  * 'apt-get update' is a source of confusion to many people, primarily
    because it doesn't update dpkg's available file; hence, commands
    like 'dpkg -p' won't work as expected. (apt-cache works fine,
    though, of course.) If there's somewhere where it won't impair
    readability, it might be worth noting that, if dselect is configured
    to use apt, then 'dselect update' does everything that 'apt-get
    update' does plus updating dpkg's available file. This might be more
    detail than you want to go into, though.

  * I'd comment on the differences between 'apt-get upgrade' and
    'apt-get dist-upgrade' (the latter will intelligently handle
    changing dependencies with new versions of packages), especially as
    this is extremely useful for people who don't follow unstable but
    who just want to upgrade smoothly from one stable release to the
    next.

  * Actually, it's dpkg that informs you about changes in configuration
    files, not apt - but that's a minor point.

  * I don't think that /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin is used only for
    source packages, as you might expect from its name. Rather, I
    believe (from my reading of the documentation and the code, though I
    don't understand apt fully) that it's used to store the information
    fetched from the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list before it's merged
    into the main package cache in /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin.

  * There's a stray > in the note about packages.debian.org.

  * s/istallation/installation/ in the section about dpkg and grep.

  * It would be nice to note that libapt-pkg2.7 isn't actually a real
    package, but a virtual one provided by apt itself.

  * The section on 'dpkg -L' should say that it only works on installed
    packages. 'dpkg -c' - or, more fully, 'dpkg-deb -c' - works on .deb
    files you've downloaded. Likewise with 'dpkg -S'; the only real
    alternative to that for uninstalled packages is the search form at
    http://packages.debian.org/, or to download the Contents-$(ARCH).gz
    file for the relevant distribution from a Debian mirror.

Thanks,