Re: Package management, involuntary upgrade

Ameurlain Antoine <aameurlain@prosodie.com> wrote:

The documentation people may know more about a howto, but ...

>Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.3-10 (using .../libc6_2.2.1-1_i386.deb) ...
>Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
>Replacing files in old package ldso ...

That's fine. ldso isn't needed these days except for old libc5-based
programs, and was replaced by recent libc6 packages. If you try 'dpkg -p
ldso', you'll see an explanation of this, assuming your version of that
is reasonably recent; if you try 'dpkg -p libc6', you'll see the line
'Replaces: ldso (<= 1.9.11-9)', which allows this.

>I didn't want that, but ... it happened. Now i'm quite nervous
>about my running http (compiled one), postmaster (deb package) etc.
>Are there reasons for me to be nervous ?

I wouldn't say so. If your dynamic linker had broken, you wouldn't have
to ask; you'd notice right away.

>Should I re-install my old packages ? How to "downgrade" packages ?

apt-get can't downgrade, but 'dpkg -i foo.deb' can; as 'dpkg
--force-help' says, --force-downgrade is enabled by default.