Re: package holding doesn't work in dselect

> Cameron Matheson wrote:
>
> I wanted to install wmaker for my newly compiled X4, but I can't
> because it requires me to install xfree86-common and xlib6g.  This
> won't do, so I put those two packages on hold, but then it comes up
> with the dependancy problem screen, with them re-selected.  Why
> doesn't hold work?

You don't want to put packages on hold, you want to override the
dependencies of windowmaker.

You could use dpkg to install the package ignoring dependencies, or you
could use the equivs package
(http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/equivs.html) to create
equivalent (empty) packages that supply the dependencies needed by
windowmaker.

Matthew