memory problem

I have played around and it seems to be more of an issue with the
system itself.  I am running 2.2r2 with kernel 2.2.18.  This is a
failrly newly installed system, and what happens is that applications
don't release memory when they are done.  I thought it was specific to
Webtrends Enterprise Reporting Server, which this server was built
for, but it seems to be anything.  I rebooted the machine and watched
top.  There was about 20 megs of RAM used.  I ran in another shell
'updatedb' since I knew it wasn't a small quick thing.  I watched
memory usage go up to almost 50 megs.  When it finished, the memory
usage stayed the same, give or take a couple of megs.  It is now
sitting steady at 48224K.

Why would this be?  Thanks for any insight.

-Ken

--
hazmat@hellrot.org            AIM: ScopusFest