"You don't exist, go away!" login problems (was Re: This is too strange.)

Use a descriptive subject line.  Note change.

on Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:03:11AM +1100, Bill Shui (wshui@mail.usyd.edu.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>         I have been running Debian Testing for the last few days.
>
>         Just a few minutes ago, I have noticed that I could no longer log
> in as any user.
> 	That is, I cannot even log in as root from the console. The system
> was not connected to the net.
>
> Luckily, I have one root shell opened, so I could still do
> things like apt-get get.
>
>         but I can't do su or sudo ,etc. it always returned me error
> message:
>
> You don't exist, go away!
>
> I have checked my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.
> they are in the right format.

Search the error message in Google or Deja.  You've probably got a UID
problem, and I'd suspect password/shadow file problems, despite your
statement.

How did you validate these files?  Anyone know of validator tools for
these file formats?  Do you have backup copies of either (system
backups, or the local '~' backups.