base.tgz internals / config question

Hi,

I working up a custom, configurable, but non-interactive install,
using an NFS root boot disk.

The question is how does the base system know it is unconfigured and
is there anything non obvious that goes on during "configure base
system"?

I untarred base.tgz into my nfsroot directory, booted the nfs floppy
(on an other system ofcourse), and got a message that the base system
was unconfigured and I should reboot with the install disk.

I could rdev the install floppy to /dev/nfsroot and fix this, but as
part of my installer, I'm definately going to want to do this behind
the user's back.

-Jon