Re: Debian Newbie

on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:23:42PM +0100, Vittorio De Martino (v.demart@dada.it) wrote:
> Il Tuesday 23 January 2001 08:59, kmself@ix.netcom.com ha scritto:
>
> > > on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:04:30AM +0100, Vittorio De Martino
> (v.demart@dada.it) wrote:
> > > I've been using RedHat 6.2 and 7.0 for about a year and now I think I'm
> > > ready to have a go at some other Linux distro.

<...>

> > > Migrating to Debian potato can I have a USB working support (for
> > > an Epson  scanner)  as I have now  automatically set up under RH7?
> >
> > Check your kernel configuration and USB support included there.  Are you
> > running 2.4 or a 2.2.x series kernel?
>
> RedHat 7 comes with kernel 2.2.16-22 which includes an activated USB
> support by default; I had a chance to have a look at the kernel
> tailoring it to fit my hardware.  I wonder whether it's the same for
> Debian kernel, I mean is there a USB support included whether
> activated or not? If there isn't what should I do?

I'm exploring this myself currently on a laptop I just bought.  I'll be
looking at USB support RSN, and will note back with results.

Do you still have the RH installed?  My suggestion is to copy all the
named (not numbered) files under /proc, your /etc directory, and any
configuration files under /usr/src/linux, for later analysis, before
nuking the system.