esd, alsa, and 2.4

Hi all

I have recently (last night) upgraded my debian system to the alsa
0.5.10a-2 and to 2.4 and am now having a bit of a problem with my sound
(which use to be fine with 2.2.17).  The sound card module is
snd-cs461x.o.

These are the syptoms:

1) xmms runs when I am root...but doesn't use esd.  Yes, I have checked
the permissions on the /dev/dsp etc. stuff, so I think my basic set up
is okay
2) when I reboot, /dev/snd is not there, so alsa refuses to start.  If I
run ./snddevices (again) then I can start alsa.  But I need to do this
each time I reboot!
3) After running ./snddevices, if I start esd as root I get the
following (looks kind of okay)
# esd
error: Invalid argument: in snd_pcm_channel_params
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
4) If I start esd as a normal user I get:
#user: esd
esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...

(this is the same error I get if I try to run xmms say as a normal user

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Richard

begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;fax:416-971-4159
tel;home:
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Algorithmics Inc
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmics.com
title:Financial Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-18400