Re: Control CPU fan's speed

Nate Amsden wrote:

> Arcady Genkin wrote:
> >
> > So I got this new motherboard (ASUS CUSL2-C), and I hear that one of
> > the Windows utilities that come with it can control CPU fan's speed.
> > I thought that it would be very nice (I have no way of checking),
> > since the native Intel's fan on my PIII wants to be a jet-plane
> > turbine.
>
> for good reason! i got 12 fans in my box and a MASSIVE cpu fan(i think
> it pulls 25cfm or something) and my p3-800 still runs at 50C(AFAIK
> when its idle, as i can't query the cpu from linux yet lm_sensors
> doesn't support the chip..so 50C is from the bios)
>
> i have a system at work with only about 4 fans, and the cpu reads
> at 50C too (P3-733). ..
>
> (again reading it from the bios, its the same asus mb as what i have
> at home - CUV4X)
>
> i fear the thought of slowing my cpu fan down..probably cause a burnout.

The problem is not how many fans you have in the box. The problem is how
much hot air you get out and how much cold air you get into the box.
Having
100 fans just recirculating the same hot air will do no good.

Make sure the fans are placed to make circulation and that air flow is
not
obstructed by those nice flat ide or scsi cables. If the case has two
fans
one should generally pull cold air in and the other should push the hot
air
out. Having both trying to push or both trying to pull will just make
the
air stand still.

> my k6-3 400 with 8 fans runs at a nice 15C. oh how i miss good 'ol
> amd socket 7 chips..

Ahem... How do you manage to make a fan cool your CPU to below normal
room
temperature ? Either
1. you live in a fridge
2. the cpu fan-heatsink combo has a peltier device
3. your temperature sensor is whacked or,
4. the statement is BS

\Happy hacking

Gandalf