Re: debian init.d scripts

on Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:04:19PM -0500, MaD dUCK (madduck@madduck.net) wrote:
> hey,
> i am new to debian - done redhat and suse and am now finally with what
> truly seems to be the best distro. honestly, it was a pleasure to
> install debian and using it is fabulous too for i *hate* that
> redhat/suse automatic config crap.
>
> anyway, been looking around through /etc/init.d and i actually
> installed file-rc to control runlevels through /etc/runlevel.conf.
> however, i am noticing a couple of peculiar things and i am not sure
> if i am interpreting them correctly...
>
> for instance, all these *.sh scripts, are they for single user mode
> only?

Typically, bootup, as you'll find if you do:

   $ ls /etc/rc?.d/*.sh

...all of these files exist only in runlevels 0, 6, and S.

> and what is the difference between runlevel S and runlevel 1?

Runlevels are specified in the 'init' manpage and /etc/inittab:

    # Runlevel 0 is halt.
    # Runlevel 1 is single-user.
    # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
    # Runlevel 6 is reboot.

S is single user.  Same as '1'.

> furthermore, it seems as if mounting and bringing the network up (for
> instance) happen somewhere else but through
> /etc/init.d{mountall,networking} - at least my default
> /etc/runlevel.conf lists only runlevel S as start (and - for stop) for
> both, but obviously networking starts in runlevels 2 and 3 as well.
> why then are they there?

The system boots through single user on its way to the default runlevel,
I think (and may be wrong at this).

> where can i find an indepth rundown of what the concept behind
> /etc/init.d for potato is?

Start with /etc/init.d/README and follow the links.  A good Unix or
GNU/Linux admin primer will have a reference to the SysV init style,
which GNU/Linux uses.