Install on A7V

Hi, I'm trying to get Debian running on my Asus A7V motherboard with a Thunderbird processor. I moved the disk that I want to install onto to the ATA66 controller and then was planning on upgrading to 2.4 kernel and then moving it back to the ATA100 controller after that. This seems to be the recommended way of doing this from what I've read. Baby steps though, I can't even get Debian running properly on the ATA66 controller! I have it installed and upgraded to unstable, but I can't get LILO running properly. I can boot into my system fine with boot disk i made (thank god I made one! ;), but if I try to boot from the hard disk I get L 02 02 02 02 02 02 .... seemingly forever. I installed using the idepci boot disks and that is still the kernel I'm still running. I tried changing it to the 2.2.18-ide kernel image which says it has the patches for UDMA66, etc. thinking that might be the problem, but LILO still did the same thing. When I run lilo it gives no warnings, just says everything was successful. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? What does the 02 mean? Thanks. -Jeff