Re: OT: check book balancer - xacc packages

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:43:01AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 22-Jan-2001 Xucaen wrote:
> > hi all.
> > has anyone ever installed either of the following
> > debian packages?
> >
> > stable  100%  xacc-smotif 1.0.17-1   (1166.5k)
> >    A personal finance tracking program.
> > stable  75%  xacc 1.0.18-4   (344.4k)
> >    A personal finance tracking program.
> >
> > I was wondering what the difference between them
> > is (besides their version numbers ;-).
> > The xacc-smotif description says it is "linked
> > statically with Motif. It may be more stable than
> > the Lesstif based version"
> > what does it mean to be statically linked to
> > Motif? What is Motif? What is Lesstif?
> >

> Motif is an old UNIX standard GUI library.  It is closed source and you have to
> spend money to own it.  Lesstif is a free recreation of this library based on
> the publicly available API.  (less is more).

just a small note:
Motif has recently been open-sourced for platforms that are open source
themselves, such as Linux and FreeBSD.
Anyone who's interested and doesn't know already, may read about the
details at

http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/

or

http://unix.oreilly.com/news/motifopen_0500.html