Re: Mutt, unnoticed new mail and improper access/change times

Quoting Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl):

> In order to weed out the empty mailboxes in the "c tab-tab"
> window, I've "unset save_empty"

... presumably so it deletes empty mailboxes.

> It seems to have to do with access and modification times, the first
> mail to be delivered to a non-existing mailbox sets those times to the
> same value, and mutt thinks it's old mail. Further mail to that mailbox
> only changes the modification time, so mutt is happy. But I'm not:)

Spot on.

> As a work around I've complicated my procmail recipy like:
>
>     :0
>     {
>     	    :0 c:
>     	    $LISTDIR/gibraltar
>
>     	    :0 A
>     	    | touch -m -d "next sec" $LISTDIR/gibraltar
>     }

Nice. The problem hadn't worried me enough to look for a workaround,
but may I steal that?

> but I hope there is a better way out of this.

This was discussed here very recently. The problem is finding a way
of doing this without having to open/read/modify the mailboxes, and
I don't know of one. I just leave the empty inboxes - my eye does
the filtering: "0" is so much shorter than any realistic mailbox
size (usually at least four digits).

Cheers,