From: Viktor Rosenfeld [mailto:rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de]
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 11:11 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Kernel 2.4.0 vs 3Com NIC

Hi,

okay I have compiled and installed the new kernel on my woody system.
The compile went without problems and the kernel boots up with no error
messages (at least if I don't mount devfs, looks like devfsd is not
setting some symlinks properly like /dev/rtc ...)

The kernel won't recognize my network card though.  I have a 3Com
Etherlink III card, which is supported by the 3c509 driver.  I have it
compiled-in with kernel 2.2.18 and I've never had problems before.  It
won't work with kernel 2.4.0 though, when I have it compiled-in.  When I
compile it as a module and try to modprobe it, I get:

23:02 root@bart:/home/viktor # modprobe 3c509
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o: invalid parameter parm_io
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o: insmod 3c509 failed
23:02 root@bart:/home/viktor
#

I have up-to-date modutils (2.4.1) from woody and I can modprobe other
modules without problems.

23:02 root@bart:/home/viktor # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dummy                   1168   0  (unused)
23:02 root@bart:/home/viktor
#

Any idea what I could be missing?

MfG Viktor