trouble compiling module

Hello,

My ultimate goal is to get my Netgear FA311 card running on 2.2r2.  I have
found some information on downloading and compiling a couple of modules
(pci-scan and natsemi) which other posts indicate should work.  I've been
able to get these to compile, but when I try insmod on pci-scan, I get

pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol printk_Rdd132261

The line I used to compile this file was

gcc -I/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.18pre21/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6
-c pci-scan.c

I installed these headers when the compile without the include would not
work.  From other posts I have read, the problem I am running into seems to
be a mismatch between the header version and my kernel version.  However, I
have run into a dead end as far as what to try next.

Is this the correct way to reference the headers?

How do I determine the correct ones to install?

How do I determine the version of the kernel I am running?

Thanks for any help.

Chris