Re: filtering in mutt

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 05:47:10PM -0800, aphro@portal.aphroland.org wrote:
> hi
>
> is there a way to filter mail in mutt? i am testing mutt in
> IMAP mode so i do not believe i can use procmail or anything
> external to do it. the mail system is cyrus so i do not have
> access to the mail files themselves either, so the filtering
> has to be done by the client itself. i don't need anything
> complex, mainly match addresses and move them to other
> folders ..........

Well, you can always 't'ag all the messages manually. Or then you can
'T'ag messages matching a pattern, for example '~f user' tags all messages
from 'user' (see section 4.2. in the manual for more about patterns.) When
you have tagged all the relevant messages, you just tag-save (;s) to
another folder.

And if you want all the previous done more automatically, define a macro
(section 3.6.) to do all the work for you in a single keypress. Using
folder-hooks and 'push'-command you might even get everything done
automatically when you enter the folder.

Personally I use procmail filtering on the IMAP server, but then again, I
have shell access to it. Maybe you can do server-side filtering yourself,
ask the admins.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6