Re: netscape ftp vs http

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Svante Signell wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:24:56 +0100 (CET)
> From: Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: netscape ftp vs http
>
> What am I doing wrong trying to download files from
> eg. http/:www.fileplanet.com or http://www,3ddownloads.com using
> Netscape (4.76)?
>
> You don't get the possibility to <shift><click> on the file, it just
> starts downloading to the Netscape buffer!! Not as expected. I'm
> moving to mozilla ASAP, but meanwhile, what to do?? Any settings to
> change? Maybe this is IE behavior copied to NS, but you should get a
> question, whether to download or to view. Is this unreasonable?
>
> /Svante

You could simplu right-click on the link and select the "Save Link As..."
option from the menu.  That should work fine.

However, I believe you may be experiencing the problem due to the MIME
types configuration of your Netscape browser.  You may want to open the
preferences, and check the Applications section.  Once in there you can
select the file type (pay attention to the extension) and choose what
Netscape is going to do with those file types by default (you could
choose "Save to Disk", for example).  By the way, if the problem is with
executable files make sure you look for the octet-stream MIME type.

Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org
News, tips, articles, links...