Re: x documentation

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:46:45PM -0800, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>    Just about every setting under XF86Setup.. It has been a real pain
> before and I finally gave up and perchased an ATI RAGE, now I own the
> voodoo300 (killer card!) but this box is a starter box for a friend
> who will love linux since it is a command line OS and stable. Yes, I really
> would personally like to read and understand why x is what it is and how
> to manually mangle it until it gives me what I need. What I am shooting for
> is simple 800/600 res and either 8 or 16bpp.. The card is older isa, like
> the 8900. the redhat installer gui is able to work on it out of the box etc.
> So I know if I can get the correct XF86Config file working, it will work well
> until he buys a new card/monitor of his own (it's my bench card/monitor).
> I know it works well under windoz, but it's hell under x...
>
> So, if you can point me to the doc that will give me a real understanding
> of how x works and how to manipulate it to suit my needs, I would really
> appreciate it.

When I have installed X on older machines before I first ran
"SuperProbe" to find the chipset.  Then ran xf86config or XF86Setup.
Here are a couple links.  Don't know if you have looked at them or not
but should give you a good starting spot.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO/index.html
The XFree86-HOWTO contains a trouble shooting section.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO.html
Maybe not quite what your looking for at the moment but might be
valuable later.
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson