X config errors, boot issues

I have a couple of issues to resolve now with my Debian installation:

1)  I commented out the tulip module in /etc/modules, but when I boot
it still tries to config eth0.  This is currently a problem (I must
wait for it to time-out) because I moved my computer and have no
ethernet network available now.  How can I make it not load the
module?

2)  I have a zip drive, /dev/hdd.  I told it not to mount a boot-time
in /etc/fstab.  It doesn't, but if a disk isn't in when the kernel
does the Partition Check, it will sit in an infinite "lost interrupt"
loop.  Even if I put a disk in, it won't work until I force a reboot.
When I had RH6.1 this wasn't a problem (I think kernel 2.2.12) -- it
would try the check, get a time out and then ignore the disk.  (I
could mount a disk later with no trouble)  When I "upgraded" to RH7
(kernel 2.2.16) the problem began.  Debian (Potato) has the same
problem (kernel 2.2.18, "normal").  How can I have the startup ignore
the zip drive if no disk is present?  (IDE drive)

3)  X looks horrible and GNOME has problems.  I copied my XF86Config
file from RH7 which was a copy form RH6.1 which worked great in both
RH's.  In Debian the startup screen (gdm) looks ugly (seems to be low
res and low color).  When I log in (all dot files copied from RH
system) my background (wallpaper) looks fine -- right size and color.
XMMS looks fine too.  Gnome-terminal is huge with a large
coarse-grained font.  Gnome-panel segfaults repeatedly on startup.
With my RH system I had upgraded to a much newer version of gnome-*.
Could this be the cause of my problems (as in newer config files not
being understood)?

4)  Also, it is rather ridiculous to have to log in to halt or reboot
the computer.  How can I add the Shutdown/Restart option to gdm?

Thanks for the assistance,
-D