Re: How to make apt-get upgrade interactive?

Lo, on Saturday, January 20, Hall Stevenson did write:

> * Richard Cobbe (cobbe@directlink.net) [010120 09:10]:
> > Hello, all.
> >
> > While I generally trust apt-get upgrade, I'd like to have it print out a
> > list of the packages to be upgraded and possibly check with me before it
> > actually does anything.  I'm a little unsure how to do this, though.  Based
> > on the manpage, I added
>
> I always run "apt-get -u upgrade". I think that is what you're looking
> for. You can't control which of the packages it will install this way,
> but at least if there's one you don't want, you can go about upgrading
> some other way.

Yes, this is what I was looking for, but I'd prefer a way to do it via the
config file rather than supply the option each time.

However, Sven Burgener <svenb@bluewin.ch> suggested in another post using

    APT::Get::Show-Upgraded "yes";

I was using "true" instead of "yes"; none of the man pages that I found
specified the set of possible values for boolean options.  I'll have to try
this next time I need to update a package.

Thanks to all who replied,

Richard