Re: CD-ROM compatibility

Hi. I'm pretty sure I had the exact same cd-rom setup on a Dell 486/33 that I had. You need the cdu31a driver. I don't remember all the exact details of how I got it to work, just that I did. Check out /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdu31a if you have the kernel source installed or else I can send it to you if you want. I didn't have to compile a custom kernel on the red hat 6.2 installation that i did on that 486, the cdu31a driver was included, but I had to configure it and pass it some addresses or something. Hope this helps. -Jeff

Melvin Rogers wrote:
Hello,
I have a 484/33 with a Creative Lab CD-Rom connected via a Sound Blaster 16.  The install program will not mount the CD-Rom.  I tried all available types, hda through hdh.  I tried some mount commands that I found within the Debian GNU/Linux book via an alternate console. My question is,  is my cd-rom a supported device, if it is, what should the mount command look like? Where do I find out what devices are supported, where can I get device drivers?

My next step, if the creative labs cd-rom is not going to work, is put my hard drive in a my other machine, load Linux and applications, then put the hard drive back into the 486.

Mel Rogers
mrogers@cnetech.com