PPPD persist

After upgrading from slink to potato the pppd persist option no
longer reruns the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d after a connection
has been broken and then reestablished.  Is there some way to
configure pppd so the scripts are rerun after persist reconnects?

If not, is it possible to change from persist to nopersist in a
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d script?  I know this sounds counterintuitive,
but if I could do this I can rerun pppd by checking for a leftover
fetch*.pid after a connection is broken.

If none of the above, maybe I can figure out how to make use of
the redialer script in /doc/ppp/examples.

    Larry