Re: Requirements to Build Gimp 1.2 Help

On Sunday 14 January 2001 01:57, Colin Watson wrote:
> Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >Ok, I'm on a potato system. Are the following what's needed to
> >successfully compile the new Gimp 1.2?
>
> OK, I didn't see this message before replying to your earlier one;
> repetition and maybe a little more detail ...
>
> >Download:
> >apt-get source gimp1.2
> >apt-get source gimp-data-extras (1:1.2.0-1)
> >apt-get libgtk1.2 (new 1.2.8)
> >apt-get libgtk1.2-dev
> >
> >Installed already:
> >libgtk1.2-dev
> >gdk-imlib-dev
> >
> >Install:
> >libjpeg62-dev
> >libmpeg-dev
> >aalib1-dev
> >libpng2-dev
> >libtiff3g-dev
> >
> >1. That do it?
>
> You always need the packages described in the documentation of the
> build-essential package. Apart from that, look in the
> Build-Depends: line in debian/control. If that's wrong, file a bug
> if it hasn't been done already.
>
> >2. No I need a new non-free package or can I use that for 1.04?
>
> I'd bet (some :)) money you'll need to build the new one. Surely
> this won't be a problem, as 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' will
> build the lot?
>
> >3. Is the newer, post libgtk 1.2.7 on poato necessary and will te
> > new break my old GTK apps?
>
> The build dependencies aren't versioned, so I would assume that
> they aren't necessary. Dependencies are normally filled in
> automatically depending on what's installed on the package
> builder's system; if it's built against a given version of a
> library then it may not run on earlier versions due to binary
> incompatibility, but that's nothing to say the source is
> incompatible.
>
> In other words, try it and see what happens.

A rather belated reply. But in case somebody's still trying to
wrestle with Gimp1.2: I managed to install Ximian Gimp using just the
packages for gimp1.2 and libgimp1.2 plus the version of libgtkxmhtml1
generated from building the sid source for gnome-libs1.2.8.

I have some doubts however over my installation, as the output below
shows. Why is "gimp1.2" still described as "Developers' release"? Did
Ximian really use the final 1.2 sources?

debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep "gimp1.2"
ii  gimp1.2        1.2.0-0potato1 Developers' release of the GNU
Image Manipul
ii  libgimp1.2     1.2.0-0potato1 Developers' release of libraries
necessary
debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep "libgtkxmhtml"
ii  libgtkxmhtml1  1.2.8-3        The Gnome gtkxmhtml (HTML) widget