those problems where the easiest thing to do seems to be to reboot...

Hi,

I've used linux quite a while now, but every so often I do something to
my system I can't fix that I know will go away if I reboot. I'm lazy, I
guess, so I do. I can always make some tea. Its very silly though I'm
sure I needn't, so can someone suggest what to do when,

1) you 'cat' a file you shouldn't in the console mode. before you know
it everything on the commandline becomes an unreadable mess of ascii
characters you didn't know you had.

2) X crashes (hasn't for a while actually) and dumps you in a grey
screen with a mouse pointer and nothing else. (That would be running
unstable, helix-gnome, enlightenment and gdm with mozilla to crash it).
I've tried restarting the gdm daemon but that doesn't work.

suggestions?

caoilte