Re: Dell OptiPlex GX110 and XFree86

> I'm having problems getting xfree86 to work with intels i810
> graphics chipset, I've compiled the kernel with the agp module and
> can load it, but I can't figure out exactly what to put in the
> config file to get it all working.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with doing this
> or if anyone knew where to find some more explicit documentation.

I set this up on a colleague's machine a couple of weeks ago. I used
the version of the agpgart module that's available for compilation at
the Intel site, and in addition the special X server they have for
download (XFCom_810), which is said to work faster and more reliably
with this chipset than the svga server.

You'll find very explicit step-by-step instructions at:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/release_notes_1.htm.

There's also a PDF file from Intel which contains essentially the same
instructions, which I can send you if you'd like.

This was under XFree 3.3.6 on a standard potato installation. No need
to recompile X. You'll have a slightly non-standard system, but it
works well,

Jim