From: Joris Lambrecht [mailto:jlambrec@landis.be]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 3:28 AM
To: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Woody vs 2.4.0 (+framebuffer)

Hi,

First,

Yesterdaynight (like 4am today :) i've started compiling the 2.4.0 once more
and this time i took the time for a read (it happens)
Apparently, woody comes with a compiler the 2.4.0 readme advices against ...
they advice a version prior to 2.95.2 or something and even warn the current
(2.95.2) is not REALLY safe.

So, i tried a rollback to the version that was recommended (the also mention
egcs) but could not find this anywhere in the packageslists i use. (i have
archives active for potato as well as testing (woody))

Does anyone know of any real complications ?

Second,

I've enabled framebuffer support but this screws my video in textmode when i
jump to a console from X. How do i disable this without the need to
recompile ?
(i'm currently using XFree86 4.0.2 with a Matrox G200 8MB, i've also
installed the matrox beta driver)

Thanks,

J.L