Re: 2.2r2 and 3c509 network card

On 18 Jan 01 18:45:13 GMT, David S. Bach <dsbach@serv.net> wrote:

>Debian 2.2r2 (kernel 2.2.18pre21) is unable to use the 3c509 ISA network card.

Consider yourself lucky you aren't stuck with an SMC Elite or Ultra. In
my experience the 3COM cards tend to Just Work with little persuasion.

I will now endeavour to actually be helpful :-).

>In modconf, if I attempt to insert 3c905 modules without
>parameters,installation fails. In modconf I am apparently able to
>insert the module using "3c509 io=0210 irq=12." These are the
>resources used for the card in Win95.

If you have a PS/2 mouse as well, you would have an IRQ conflict.

However:

>ifconfig -a shows, in addition to the expected:
>Interrupt: 10 Base address: 0x300
>(I'm guessing that this is significant since I cannot access devices
>on the Advansys SCSI PCI card that also claims interrupt 10. What can
>I do about this?)

Looks like you will need to configure the card to use a different IRQ
(5, 9 or 11 are good candidates) and possibly to live at another IO
address. A setup utility for the 3com cards has been packaged for
Debian:

  $ apt-get install 3c5x9setup

Documentation is a bit on the short side, but try just running
3c5x9setup and see what it says.

Frank