RE: Why Choose Debian?

I started using Linux around 1995 at one of my employers. I had heard about it
at college, but could never install any of the distributions from the Infomagic
discs successfully. I just didn't have the Unix/Linux skills. Nowadays,
installation is MUCH easier. Things have changed quite a bit!

So, after leaving this job, I started working at another company that was doing
UNIX consulting. When I started, half of the office was running Linux, the other
half, Windows. Since Linux rarely crashes and it fit nicely with our Unix
servers, we all converted to Linux. We used Redhat Linux and I discovered why,
it was the easiest to install. So, now I could finally install Linux by myself
and put it on my home system.

After a couple of years at this job, I learned much about Unix/Linux in general.
I also had the oppurtunity to test several Linux distributions ranging from
Redhat, Mandrake, Corel and Caldera (somewhere in my past I used Slackware as
well). Of course, these were all RPM based.

After hearing a talk by Richard Stallman, I was gung-ho to replace all my
proprietary software with "free" software. Debian seemed to have the strictest
policy regarding licenses. Also, Debian is a volunteer project, which really hit
home for me. I think "big business" is becoming too big...this could be why I
like Dr. Stallman so much:) Also, Debian was about due to release Potato. One
more point, Debian had a different packaging system that seemed too good to be
true.

Well, after installing Potato a couple times, I finally got the hang of how it
worked. All that RPM knowledge I had was useless, except the fact that it allows
me to appreciate "apt" so much more!!! Anyway, it's something like 6 months
later and I don't see myself trying any other distribution anytime soon.

What really keeps me using Debian is it's "freeness". Debian has no one to
answer to because it is a volunteer effort. Because of this, I also believe that
the developers take more pride in their work and it shows! Things like the
package management system, filesystem strucure, vast software archive and
helpful mailing lists are just results of what happens when you truly open up
your sources and mind!

Long live Debian.

Scott