Re: environment variables that updatedb uses

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:30:18PM -0500, RAccess wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, ktb wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 07:50:20PM -0500, RAccess wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi. I would like to know how to use the env variables such as PRUNEFS and
> > > PRUNEPATHS. They are supposed to be exported from /etc/updatedb.conf but
> > > they never do. updatedb runs without them. All I have changed so far is
> > > contents of these variables.
> > >
> > > I am running testing/woody. Thanks folks.
> > >

> > I got curious and started messing around with this.  I'm running potato.
> > Didn't work for me either.  If you want the variables available to you
> > all the time you can put the following in your /root/.bashrc -
> >
> > if [ -f /etc/updatedb.conf ]
> >     then
> >     . /etc/updatedb.conf
> > fi
> >
> > If you want to export these variables occasionally at the command line -
> > # . /etc/updatedb.conf
> >

> I do not always log in as root. The /root/.bashrc is hardly ever used. The
> cron job on the system takes care of the updatedb. So I am thinking that
> there should be some way for the script for the cronjob to see and use
> these variables. I am not sure how to go about this, because I never
> played with cronjob scripts before. I am not even sure if this would be a
> good idea.
>
> I find it strange that debian by default doesn't have these options
> enabled and in working order. This is not Redhat people! :)

The reason I said put it in /root was because if you don't run
"updatedb" as root you get -

$ updatedb
/usr/bin/updatedb: /var/lib/locate/locatedb.n: Permission denied
find: /root/.gnome: Permission denied
find: /root/.gnome_private: Permission denied
find: /root/mail: Permission denied
find: /root/Mail: Permission denied
<snip>
updatedb: new database would be empty

If you feel strongly about it then check and see if a bug report has
been filed, if not, file one.
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson