Re: environment variables that updatedb uses

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 07:50:20PM -0500, RAccess wrote:

> Hi. I would like to know how to use the env variables such as PRUNEFS and
> PRUNEPATHS. They are supposed to be exported from /etc/updatedb.conf but
> they never do. updatedb runs without them. All I have changed so far is
> contents of these variables.
>
> I am running testing/woody. Thanks folks.

I got curious and started messing around with this.  I'm running potato.
Didn't work for me either.  If you want the variables available to you
all the time you can put the following in your /root/.bashrc -

if [ -f /etc/updatedb.conf ]
    then
    . /etc/updatedb.conf
fi

If you want to export these variables occasionally at the command line -
# . /etc/updatedb.conf

hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson