Re: esd auto-start with Gnome?

    Steve> I have this working well enough for my purposes now.  I
    Steve> thought I was missing some entry in a config file
    Steve> somewhere, that would start up the esound daemon for me.
    Steve> Not so.  The esd has an "auto-spawn" feature where it
    Steve> starts up when it is needed, and the Gnome desktop uses
    Steve> that to get it going.

I too have had problems with esd, but a bit different (latest Helix
packages). This happened not long after using 2.4.0, but I don't think
it is a kernel problem (IIRC: It initially worked).

esd starts up fine, and even produces a noise from the speakers
if started manually (without the -nobeep) option.

However, programs don't seem to be able to communicate properly
with the daemon.

As an example, I ran strace on the daemon, and ran various gnome
programs trying to make a noise, but nothing happens.  xmms crashes
and has to be killed/murdered, while gnome control centre (sound
section) pretends to play the sound without doing anything.

If I kill esd, then xmms works. So obviously it realizes esd is not
running, and bypasses it, but don't ask me how or why...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>