Question about Gnome packages

I am using Gnome. I use the whole thing, gdm, the desktop, the panel, everything. I would like to be able to upgrade everything as new versions come out.

If I use the command
# dpkg -l '*gnome*'
I get a big list of Gnome packages. But it's redundant: lots of the packages depend on other packages, so this is not a good way to get a minimal list of packages to upgrade.

Where can I find a minimal list of Gnome packages, which if upgraded will ensure that I have the latest of everything?

Also, a dumb newbie question. It seems to me that it would be very convenient if there were a single package that I could install, which would have everything depending on it. So in one fell swoop I could upgrade everything. Is there any such package, or is such a package considered a bad idea? Or is it difficult for some reason to do this?

Thanks.