Re: group permissions

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:10:02PM -0600, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't make as much sense as I meant to.  Basically, I was
> wondering if it is possible for the default group permissions to change
> on a created file. like:
>
> I create a file in /var/www called 'test' it is normally:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 rvf      www-files        0 Jan 16 20:05 test
>
> I would like it to be like this automatically:
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 rvf      www-files        0 Jan 16 20:05 test

ah yes, this is easy, either type:

umask 002

before working in /var/www or add that command to your ~/.bashrc to
make it permanent.  note this umask is only safe if you use the
`private group' system, where your primary group is one which you
exclusivly belong to.  this is debian's default setup.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/