LAMP Question -- Perl AND PHP

Running a Debian 2.2r2 system with a little bit of Woodage (nothing
extreme) and still using the 2.2.17pre-* kernel packaged with Potato.

Am venturing into the world of LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) and
would like to do the installations from source (for the experience --
so please do not recommend that I use prepackaged .deb files).
I've already downloaded the sources and have been reading through the
various READMEs and INSTALL docs and now I have a few questions.

I have gotten the (perhaps mistaken) impression that I cannot statically
link Perl and PHP to Apache together.  If this is not correct, how do
you build Apache so that both mod_perl and PHP 4.0 are statically linked?
The Apache 'README.configure' file was not specific on how to do this or
even whether it could be done at all (though it provided adequate examples for
them individually).

If I must dynamically load mod_perl or PHP, which offers the best
performance improvement when statically linked?  Does dynamic linking of
mod_perl and PHP reduce performance of both/either dramatically?

Any other "gotchas" I should watch out for?

Thanks for your time and your help,

rob