Re: trn posting problem

blair.kelly@att.net wrote:
>: Newsgroups: misc.test
>: From: Blair Kelly <bfkelly@hypathia>
>: Subject: test
>: Date: 15 Jan 2001 08:24:19 GMT
>:
>: Test 1
>
>Looking at the "From:" line I see my name, my local user
>name and my hostname.  The address after the @ sign is
>suspicious because it does not have any dot in it.  Yet I
>can not find any trn environment variable that lets me set
>the From: line or any discussion in the documentation as
>to how the From: line is set.

Yep, it's not obvious. The first thing to do is to notice that you can
just type in whatever headers you like in the editor; the From: line
won't be overridden if you supply one. Then you can look at the
documentation for the NEWSHEADER environment variable, which constructs
the default headers for news postings. It's fairly obscure in places,
but you should be able to copy the default and add your own From: header
to it; experiment a bit until it works.

(In trn4, although that's only in testing/unstable, the default
$NEWSHEADER lets you set $FROM to supply your own From: line in a rather
easier way.)

Cheers,