Re: Fwd: video card suggestions

The display comes up in the lowest resolution, but the "virtual" size
is that of the highest resolution.  You can switch resolutions with
ctrl-alt-<plus> or ctrl-alt-<minus>.  I typically edit the line to show
the highest supported resolution, since I don't find myself using the
lower ones.  You can also edit the "virtual" line for the server you
use in the "Screen" section.  As far as the background, that is
possibly a function of the number of bits per pixel.  Try starting X
with 'startx -- -bpp 16' or editing the "Depth" parameter in the
"Screen" section.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 12:03:38AM -0500, MrHobbit420@aol.com wrote:

> I have a NVIDIA TNT2 M64 video card and am a first time user of
>  debian. I am using version 2.2r2.  I am having three problems :
>
>  1. the resolution is pretty bad.  I have windows in the first partition of
> my computer,
>  there the windows resolution is much better. But after configuring my
> xwindows
>  the background of the debian icon looks really bad, with a very low
> resolution.
>  can you tell me how to optimize the resolution ?

It would help if you could tell what resolution is in use.  Try running
X with "startx 2>datafile" and after X exits look at what is in
'datafile'.  It should tell you what server and resolution has been
selected and what other resolutions are available.  Knowing this, it
should be fairly easy to proceed.

>  2. Initially after configuring my xf86, I had a x window which is four times
> larger than
>  my monitor screen.  According to the suggestion of some helpers in this
> group,
>  I  changed some of the lines in the xconfig file starting with "mode" in the
> SVGA part
>  of the screen section keeping only 800X600 and deleting the higher modes.
>  that way the x window now fits exactly in the monitor. This gives a
> artificial solution to that problem, but I really don't know why that
> happened in the first place.
>  But still, some other windows are bigger than the screen.  for eg, if I open
> GMC window, it is of a higer dimension than the monitor and so I have to move
> it around
>  to see the whole of it. Do you know any solution to this problem ?
>
>  3. Is it possible to change the size of the windows as can be done in MS
> windows
>  with the help of the mouse ?

The display comes up in the first resolution listed in the modes line,

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen