Re: running another X from within X

To quote Brian Stults <bs7452@csc.albany.edu>,
# Is it possible from within X to start another session of X on a
diffent
# console?  I know I can just Ctrl-Alt-F2, login, and then startx.  Then
# could toggle between Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.  However, I would
like
# to accomplish the same thing without dropping down to a console.  When
# try to do this from an xterm, I get a message about not being
authorized
# to run the X server.  Root, however, can do it.  Any suggestions?

The first X session's display is :0 . You have to tell 'startx' to start
a new X session, on a display other that :0. For instance,

startx -- :1

Would start a second X session, accessible by CTRL+ALT+F8. You can also
embed an X session in a window; 'man Xnest' for more info.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)