ttmkfdir vs mkttfdir

So, I'm trying to follow the X Font Deuglification howto.  I have a
bunch of Windows fonts on my "other" partition (the old dusty one that
came with the system but is almost never used anymore).  I want to grab
those fonts, just like the above doc says.

I copy them all over.

I've installed xfs-xtt (I'm still using XFree86 3.3.6 and am not
interested in moving to 4.x yet, thanks anyway...)

Now it says use ttmkfdir; I've searched everywhere and I can't find this
in any Debian package.  The mailing lists suggest using mkttfdir instead
(why?  Why isn't the original included with fttools or something?)

I tried that (a perl script apparently), and I just get "Segmentation
fault":

  # mkttfdir
  Segmentation fault.

I checked and I _do_ have a fonts.dir file after this bombs, but I
don't have a fonts.scale, which is what the above doc says I need, then
I'm supposed to run mkfontdir to get fonts.dir.

How can I get a fonts.scale file?  Why is mkttfdir dumping core?  And
why do we have a different implementation of this tool in Debian than
everyone else uses; this seems counterproductive?

I'm downloading the tarball and building ttmkdir myself now...

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools