Setting console keybindings

What's the good/right/proper way to set console keysyms?

I want to change the CapsLock key to a CTRL key in my Linux console.  I
see that there are two packages which manage this, either kbd or
console-tools.  The latter is installed by default; is this the
preferred tool going forward?

With either of these I don't really see any way to customize the keymap
that it installs; I could edit the default keymap before or after
installation, but I would much prefer to come up with some out-of-band
way of adding an override for this.  I'm worried that if I modify these
files my changes will just get overwritten when I upgrade these
packages.

Thanks for any hints!

PS. Do people realize the FAQ-O-Matic is down?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools